Monday, October 27, 2008

Psycho!



32. New Classic movie each month- (BEWARE SPOILERS!) I love watching a scary movie at home when its cold and rainy outside, it really is one of my favorite pasttimes. I have always been a HUGE horror film fan, and it being Halloween week, I figured to watch a classic horror movie for my goal.I hadn't seen one of the all time classics yet before tonight, Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. I had heard all about the shower scene, the stabbing motion, Norman Bates' mother, but I never knew the big spoiler, and I'm glad I didn't.

I thought the movie was solid. In a way I like how the older classics didn't rely on gore and guts to classify as a horror movie, but I do wish there were more jump scenes. There was not a single jump scene in this movie, and that was the only negative considering its considered a horror classic.

I thought the music was superb, kept you on your toes the entire time. The concept (abandoned hotel, creepy manager) was very original for its time. The acting was great, and the storyline and twists were phenomenal.

My only complaint would be that it's not so much of a horror movie for me when there's no jump scenes. The music seemed to build up far too often with not enough punch. But for a suspense movie, this was definitely one of the better ones.

I would however not put this ahead of The Shining.

IMDB Rating: 8.7 / My rating: 8

1 comment:

Tabatha said...

Typical Hitch movies.....never a "jump" scene. But mentally scary as hell anyways!

Glad you loved it!!!