Wednesday, September 10, 2008

MLB Park #10..


#87 - Go to a MLB park other than Wrigley that I have never been to - So while in Denver, Jennifer and I went to a Rockies game at Coors Field. One of my lifetime goals is to go to a MLB game at every active ballpark, and even though that is going to be very hard to achieve, I have to give it a try in every city I am in, right??

Well, it just so happened that the weekend that we planned to go to Colorado, the Astros were in town!! So not only did I get to go see a new ballpark in a new city, but I got to go to my first ever Astros road game!




I had heard plenty about Coors Field before, and how many have called it the most beautiful park in the Majors. One of the factors of this being that if you sit on the 1st base line all the way to center field, you have a clear picture of the Rocky Mountains out of the left field wall. Well, it just so happened for us that Denver decided to get their first muggy, cold day of the year on this Friday, and the clouds were too low for us to see the mountains. Although I had hoped to be able to look at the mountains while watching a baseball game, it was ok because we had already seen plenty of them the day prior and even gone up them.

The game was very cold. I questioned how people live in that city. It was September 5th, and the weather was miserable for baseball. The temps were in the 40's, and the wind was blowing in from left field, so every now and then you would get a nice cold breeze in your face. Even the locals were bundles up in sweaters, coats, blankets. That's not how baseball is supposed to be watched.







The park however was absolutely gorgeous. They had a lot of neat little perks, including a row of seats in the upper deck that went all around the stadium colored purple, which marked one mile high from sea level. I thought this was very interesting..




The fans reminded me a lot of Astros fans. Generally not paying attention to the game, starting the wave at random times, having to have the scoreboard operator tell them when to get loud, but nice and they get into it when they need to. They had stands around the park for Colorado brewed beers (Fat Tire, Blue Moon, etc) that were only $6 each. Even Coors Light was only $6. Compare that to almost $9 at MMP.

The Stros lost. And what's funny is it's their only loss in the last 14 games. Since the All-Star break, we have the best record in the Major Leagues. We are now 4 games out of the wild card. What in the world is going on?!

Overall, I don't think I would put Coors over MMP. I know that sounds strange, and maybe it's cause I couldn't see the mountains, but I have a soft spot for our stadium. I really enjoyed my experience at Coors though. The best part by far is the restaurants and bars that surround the stadium. MMP has a few, but Coors has so many places to go before and after the game, all around the stadium.


Here's a few more shots from Coors Field:






2 comments:

Tabatha said...

Are you going to make it out to Yankee stadium this year?

Bec Lambert said...

Fabulous pics! Looks like you had a blast! I can't believe it was so COLD!