Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Bad Dog Club..




#6 - Read a non-fiction book - I might as well be a part of the Bad Dog Club the way I have been ignoring my blog and goals lately. But I did knock out a goal recently..

I finished reading "Marley & Me," something I wanted to do before seeing the movie. I am a sucker for dog books, and had heard this one was good, so decided to give it a go. I am so glad that I did.

"Marley & Me" is a phenomenal read that keeps moving and keeps you hooked from the very beginning. It has countless stories that involve laughter and sadness, leading to the imminent very sad ending. I read "Where the Red Fern Grows" when I was younger, and cried at the ending, and this book was no different to my feelings. It doesn't help that my Shadow is growing older and weaker and may not be around much longer, but maybe it did help me in that it began preparations for losing her. Whichever affect it has on me, I am so happy that I read this book. I will definitely re-read it down the road, and now I have to see the movie.

I highly recommend this book for a casual read for dog lovers, you will love it. Now it's time to find a fictional novel for another goal..

7 comments:

Nisha said...

wow, i had no clue this was a non-fiction. i just knew a movie came out, but never saw it. i think i've become more of a cat person these days (ie, i'm lazy), but i still have a place in my heart for dogs so i'll definitely have to give this a read sometime. :)

Chris said...

its definitely a true story. John Grogan gives the story of his dog that his newlywed and he got shortley after their marriage and how the dog helped shape their life and family. it really is awesome. it was one of those that i was sad to finish, you know? kinda didnt want it to end.

Nisha said...

yeah, such is life...can't have happy w/o sad. i had a lab growing up so i'm sure i'll relate to some of it. :) well, thanks for introducing me to the story! you may see my write-up on it on my blog in the coming months...

Tricia Keierleber said...

I HATED IT!!! Cute story and all but I cried for at least 30 pages!! AND I don't mean cried, like a tear or two, I mean convulsive bawling!!! LOL

Chris said...

Tricia,

Yeah I cried pretty good too, especially at "Marley, you are a great dog." That was the hardest sentence to read...

Lindsay said...

LOVED it! Cried like it was my own dog I was reading about but such a feel good, melt your heart kind of story! Good choice :o)

Chris said...

seriously, you do feel like it is your dog. you get to know Marley and feel like he is by your side through everything. its crazy!